- Sweet Corn, Ambrosia: Sweet Corn Recipes
- Cauliflower: Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- Zucchini/Summer Squash/Patty Pan Squash: Simple Steamed Squash
- Basil: Balsamic Bruschetta
- Bulb Garlic
- Salad Greens: Baby Greens with Golden Beets, Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- Golden Beets: Baked Beet Chips
- Onions, Red & White
- Mixed assortment cherry and slicing tomatoes: Summer Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese and Herbs
- Napa Cabbage, Kholrabi, or Turnips
Herb Shares Only: Parsley, Purple Basil, Italian Basil, Mint, Chives, Thyme: Herb Butters for Sweet Corn
Thankfully the skys opened and the rain finally came. We received about 1.5 inches of rain earlier this week and it was a blessing. It rained yesterday while we were packing boxes and bagging veggies. We even got to sit and enjoy a delicious lunch without the usual rush to get things done before the heat became even more intense. It was a lovely change of pace.
New this week: Sweet Corn! We’re midwesterners so we love our corn. Even though we don’t grow it ourselves, we source it from folks who grow it like we would for you. The sweet corn is grown by our neighbors in Cream who do not spray, only cultivate, an acre of sweet corn for local customers. They’ve raised it this way for many years and are happy that they can do so for us. Eat it up right away for the best taste, as the sugars continue to break down after it’s picked.
We also had some baby salad ready for harvest. The heat does not make salad happy at all so we tend to enjoy other kinds of summer salads instead of lettuce based ones, but these baby leaves are here at least for this week. One new salad recipe for me that I’m in love with right now is the tomato with goat cheese (chevre) and herbs. Have it over toast or crisp bread rounds. Don’t substitute feta since the creamy chevre is right on the money with this recipe.
Other area news positive news includes the decision by the Buffalo County Board of Adjustments to deny a conditional use permit for a frac sand processing facility and railway loading spur to be developed across the road from the C-FC school. I am very thankful for all the hard work, time, money, and dedication that so many folks have put forth to help ensure the safety of our children in the community to say the least.
Wood-Fired Pizza We are open for our wood-fired pizza both Thursday and Friday evenings, 4:30-9pm thru the end of August.We’ll only be open on Friday evenings in Septemer.
Upcoming Live Music:
- Thur July 26th, 6-9pm Beef Slough Boys
- Fri August August 3rd, 6-9pm Jeff White
- Thur, Aug 9th, 6-9pm, Dan Sebranek & Mary
- Thur, Aug 16th, 6-9pm, Al Juson & Larry Past
Eat Well. Smile Often.