Information for Working Members
Members are invited to work on the farm and receive a $30 rebate for each 4 hour work shift they complete. This is an optional opportunity for you to see the farm, learn about vegetable growing, get some firsthand experience, help Heather out and have fun. I enjoy getting to know you better through this experience as well! Working members receive a rebate on the cost of their CSA subscription. Workers perform important work that needs to be done in a timely fashion. You will need to arrive on time, follow instructions, and work carefully.
●Schedule: Members work only during scheduled 4 hour long work shifts. The farm has a schedule created which has specific dates and times available during the growing season where extra hands are needed. Members may choose to work as many shifts as they like as long as they fill in our desired calendar needs.
AM shifts are from 8-12pm, typically available May-Oct, but other times of the year may also need assistance.
- Field Work &/Harvest-Mon or Tues AM
- CSA Box Packing-Wed AM
PIZZA NIGHT shifts are 5-9pm, available May-Sept, either Thursday or Friday evening depending on the pizza schedule.
●Work: Working members may plant seeds, transplant, hand weed, harvest, clean produce, and pack boxes. This work is physical, requiring light lifting, repetitive motions, bending, kneeling, and squatting. I will train you in the work. You don’t need prior experience; you do need to follow instructions carefully. We work in all weather except dangerous lightening or hail, but I try to adjust our jobs to best fit with the weather if possible.
Pizza night helpers will often be involved with cutting pizzas, folding boxes, kitchen prep, and filling in where needed during the night. Be prepared to be on your feet for the night while working with the public.
●Children: Children age 11 or older are welcome to come along as volunteer helpers, but I only count the time of the primary working member (it is best if Heather knows in advance so that she is able to plan projects). Children 10 and younger of working members are welcome only if a second adult comes along who will be available to supervise them at all times, or if prior approval has been given by Heather. Hazards exist on the farm such as machinery, electric fences, fuel/oil, etc.
●Scheduling Your Work Shifts: It is important to Heather to efficiently organize the process of scheduling work shifts so it does not take an enormous amount of her time and detract from her ability to raise vegetables and maintain other farm entities. If you would like to work, please follow these steps to schedule your shifts:
1. Find shifts that are convenient for you in the months of April (garden work only), May-Sept (garden work, CSA packing, or pizza nights).
2. On your membership sign-up form, list the shifts which you would like to work. If you have already mailed us your sign-up form and you wish to schedule a work shift, email or call with the date(s) you wish to work, the number of working adults who will attend, and the number and ages of children who will attend.
3. I will confirm your shifts within 1 week of receiving your sign-up form, call, or email. If you don’t hear from me, please resend an email especially if it is during the busy season.
4. Please take your commitment seriously and arrive on time for your scheduled shift. I really depend upon these scheduled work shifts and take your commitment seriously; I hope that you do the same. If you need to cancel a shift, please do so 2 weeks in advance, unless there’s an emergency. You can reschedule a canceled shift if there’s another shift open later in the year.
●Rebate: A $30 rebate is offered towards the cost of your share for each shift worked by an adult. E.g.: if two adults work a shift together, the rebate is $60. If you schedule your shifts when you sign up, you can deduct your rebate from the cost of your membership. If you schedule your shift later, then we will mail you your rebate after you work your shift. You are only entitled to a rebate if you arrive for your shift on time, complete the entire shift, and make a good faith effort to work carefully. If you don’t meet these criteria, you agree to refund Suncrest Gardens Farm the rebate which you deducted from your membership fee.
●Work Shift Preparation: Bring a water bottle for the field, sunscreen or protective clothing, rain gear, a hat, and gloves. Wear shoes that can get wet/muddy. Dress in layers to accommodate the weather and warming up while working. Bring a change of clothes or a towel to sit on if case you get really dirty and don’t want to get your car dirty. Bring snacks if needed. Please do not bring pets.