Fresh and Value-Added Items:
- Carrots 2#: Vegetable Barley Soup
- Potatoes 3#
- Celeriac: Celeriac Soup or use celery root in barley soup recipe above
- Onions, 1.5#
- Fresh Spinach 1/2#: spinach and sundried tomato pasta
- Coleslaw Mix: 3 simple dressings
- Eggs-1 dozen
- Pickles 10 oz…a little spicy this time
- Dried Tomatoes, 1 oz: dried tomato hummus
- Radishes, daikon and watermelon
- Winter squash: squash crumble bars
- Vegetable Stock 1 Qt: water, onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, rosemary, sage, thyme, bay leaf, salt & pepper.
- 2 quarts soup (Minestroni Soup & Incognito Soup), or your customized items
- Rhubarb 1 Qt
- Raspberries 1 Qt
- Sweet Corn 1 Pt: Texas Caviar ( feel free to reduce sugar in half)
- Sweet Peppers 1/2 pint
The CSA delivery comes in perfect timing with the snow storm this week. We were able to pack all the boxes yesterday, plow, and shovel pathways around the farm. The ice underneath the snow is pretty treacherous and we will be stuck with that for some time. However, we were all pretty excited to receive a new layer of beautiful snow for cross country skiing and playing in. As school is again closed today, the boys get to shovel some more and help deliver the boxes today. I hope you are all plowed out and able to get to your shares this evening.
In this weeks box is a bag of coleslaw mix. Please use the coleslaw mix this week. Either add a coleslaw dressing to it or sprinkle it on top of your spinach salad. Leftover slaw mix can even be tossed into a stir fry, soup, or casserole.
A new item this week are the dried tomatoes. To use dried tomatoes, you can soak them in a small dish with hot water if you want them to be hydrated and tender for use. I usually rehydrate them when using them for hummus or on pizzas. You can use them dried if adding them to soups or a dish that has plenty of liquid for them to absorb.
The last of the daikon radishes and the start of watermelon radishes come today. The daikon are crisp and snappy. The watermelon radish is an awesome pink color inside. Peel the skin to remove the heat and eat it raw as a snack or on a salad.
Eat Well. Smile Often.